Friday, March 19, 2010

SEG

Today is the most boring day at work. I guess after having crazy busy days the past few weeks, I'm not used to all this down time. Not to mention the fact that it is a beautiful 79 degrees today. Nobody should be forced to be indoors on a day like this, especially after what I think has been the longest winter in the history of my life. ANYWAY. Earlier I had an experience that had the potential of being the highlight of my day. But no, sadly I am a coward and gave it up. Here's the story:

Pretty much since I've started working here at F&P, I have admired this ridiculously attractive guy that works on my same floor. I call him Sexy Elevator Guy, but we'll shorten it to SEG for blogging purposes. I see him pretty often, a few times a day, about 3 or 4 days a week. Usually just in passing but more often at the elevators (hence the name). Then there are the very few occurances that we hitch the same elevator to our perspective floors (the office he works for is on two floors, the other (not mine) is where he goes most often. I assume.) When passing each other in the lobby it is pretty easy to advert my eyes and not have to give an awkward hello. Which is what I do. But when stuck in an elevator together, well thats just a whole new level of awkward. Not saying anything is rude and trying to squeak out a hi is embarassing. So I more often than not choose the rude path. BUT today I get on and tah-dah! SEG is already on it going down to the first floor as well. He looks at me and gives a smile and says "hey". What do I do? Oh, I say hey back while looking down and then quickly look up to the screen that rolls news clips and pretend like I'm very interested in what happened in hockey this week. I don't care about hockey!! What was I doing?! I realized I was being dumb. Just two days ago I rode the elevator with SEG's coworker (we'll call him LAEG- less attractive elevator guy) and had looked right at him and said, "Hey, I feel like I should know your name since I see you all the time." LAEG tells me his name, shakes my hand as I tell him mine. He then asks me about a guy that used to work with me, I proceeded to tell him a humorous story of how the door man thought that he (my old coworker) and I were dating, made him laugh, then proceeded to be on our separate ways. So tell me people. Why can I be normal with one person and not the other? Obviously attraction turns me into a nervous bumbling idiot. Not. Cool. And the funny thing is, SEG isn't even really all THAT hot. The receptionist and I decided he's more like a Monet. Pretty from far away and then once you get close, you're just like eh, okay thats a little messy. But much like Water Lilies, I still find that SEG peaks my interest. No clue why. I most definitely do not expect to ever know him as anything but SEG, but I guess when you're this bored with your life, you take what you can get to spice up your day. Maybe I'll get another chance to be a normal human being with SEG before my last day. I'll let you know how that goes..

P.S
Just needed to share this tid bit- At dinner the other day, my dad's friend asked me how the love life was. As always, my answer was "non-existant". He said he figured and then said that once I move to Charleston, if I can't find a boyfriend there, maybe I'd have better luck finding a girlfriend. WHAT! Who says that... And why is everyone always so concerned with people being single? I promise it's not so bad.

5 comments:

Heather said...

hahaha hahahaha
I smiled the whole time I read that.
That's all I have to say.
ha

*MaryEllen* said...

hahaha he got you. not only SEG but your dad's friend too. & sorry- you know I LOVE YOU but I can't be your gf when you move here k? ;)

Emily W said...

I think you deserve props for having even one non-awkward elevator convo. Riding the elevator at work is the worst part of my day. It is ALWAYS awkward.

Rachel said...

hahah thanks emily!
and ellen, all i have to say is- what did you write that check for? exactly. i'm already your paid gf. deal with it. :D

Marlee said...

I do too follow your blog! I practically stalk you... just so you know :) Love you!