Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I Need a Vacation

Obviously I have been terrible at blogging and I feel like this is the time where I should be doing it the most. I've been in Charleston for a little over a month and in school for 3 weeks. Before I say anything else about school, let me just say I love it. I really do. I have never enjoyed learning as much as I do right now. I think it has to do with the fact that I know I will be utilizing all of this information in my career - as opposed to the mindless work I feel like I have been exposed to for... oh I don't know, the past 14 years of my educational experience. I get so excited when the things I'm learning come together and make sense! So yes, I am positive that I love what I am doing. With that being said, I have never felt so drained as I do right now. Let me describe a typical day.

My alarm goes off at the offensive hour of 6 AM. (The first two weeks of school, you better believe I got up right then too! Now, it's more like 6:30...) I'm out the door by 7:20 and get to school at 7:45 (if not earlier). Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I have lecture. That means I sit in class until 3 PM taking notes, with a 30 minute lunch break at 11:15 (I am 98.7% positive I will have developed carpal tunnel by next May). Tuesdays and Thursdays I have lab until 2:15. I might stay late if my teachers are able to stay as well so that we can study a little more with the equipment and models. Typically I get home at about 3:45. I take a some time to check email and just relax with a blank mind and then it's back to work. I study and do homework until it's time to go to sleep. And that ranges anywhere from 11 PM - 4:30 AM (Yes. I stayed up studying until 4:30 one morning. Not the most pleasant of days, I assure you.) . And then I'm back at it all over again.

But I really do love it! It's just SO much information and SO much work and SO much studying. I'm doing well though. So far. I have room for improvement, but I'm realizing what adjustments I need to make in my prioritizing and such. It's kind of crazy that I've been at it for 3 weeks already... luckily, the time goes by relatively fast. It will be May 2011 before I know it and I'll stop and say, whoa, where did that time go? (That's my hope anyway, ha.) Hopefully the same will ring true for the next 2 weeks. They are crazy busy, packed with all sorts of major things- exams, papers, lab practicals... But then I have a week off! Still, it will be full of assignments due that following week, but at least I will have a chance to sit, breathe and SLEEP.

That's all for now.. off to start a paper, finish a PowerPoint, and study for a quiz.
p.s. I know I am neglecting all of my relationships and I promise I'm sorry for that. Talk to you in a year?




No comments: